Friday, July 29, 2011

love.

 I have to say that one of the proudest moments of my birthday this year (I'm a July 24 baby) was that July 24, 2011 was the day that the same-sex marriage equality law went into effect in New York City. I'm not sure why I didn't post anything on it until now - I certainly held a sort of internal pride that I shared a birthday with such a significant date - but when I saw this picture over on VogueandCoffee it made my heart swell up a little bit and I had to rectify my error of omission.

To Phyllis Siegel (76) and Connie Kopelov (84), who were the very first same-sex couple to get married in New York City - and to all the other couples who surely did the same on that momentous July 24 date, and who will continue to do so for the days, weeks, months and years ahead - Congratulations! I am so incredibly happy for each and every one of you to finally receive the same treatment that hetero couples have received for generations. And please know that we'll keep fighting - the rest of the country will eventually have to grow up and respect as well. Nothing worth fighting for happens immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment