Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Don't Despair for December!

Happy December 1, friends! Happy Hanukkah! And happy full-speed-frenzy-of-Christmas-gift-shopping. It is on this third of today's sentiments that I wanted to offer a little ray of common sense (and/or a reminder) today. As my own friends and family have felt, and still continue to feel, the pinch of lay-offs and unemployment that continue to plague our current economy, I think everyone should remind themselves that the holiday season is not about gifts.

Yes, I like "things," and I like presents, and I will very likely post in the future about how much I would love this, that, or the other for Christmas. However, that is not the point of the season (and I'm not religious, so let's not go the other route here). I know the pressure's on for getting gifts for people as a token proving you care about them, but honestly, as Dr. Seuss said, "Those who matter won't mind, and those who mind won't matter" and it stands true with gift-giving. A construction paper card reminding a friend how much they mean to you is bound to be kept and more fondly remembered than any trinket. If things are even too tight for construction paper, a hug and a chat is just as meaningful. I know December is a frenzied month - I think half of Americans say they like Thanksgiving best because it's a break in the insanity of preparing for Christmas and Hanukkah, which seems to begin in October these days.

I just wanted to say that. That there is enough going on in the world without financial pressures of gifts factoring in to anyone's sleepless nights. It's one day a year (or eight, depending on what you celebrate...the pressure's probably a little higher here, I'll admit...) and I promise, everyone will still care about you the next day (or week).
In other news, the wind broke my umbrella today. We're talking 40 mph gusts people. And it's not even 9 am yet. Jimmany.
{Please note, this is not me. Obviously. As I moved away from the beach, And I now have short hair. Duh}

No comments:

Post a Comment